#CapturingCommunity is a series where we, in the Service-Learning community, are able to sit down with staff from our community partners, faculty at Northeastern, and students to hear about their experiences with Northeastern’s Service Learning program. In this post, Audrey Grace, a Northeastern staff and administrator answers some questions!

Name: Audrey Grace

Role in Service-Learning: Staff/Administrator

What is one thing everyone should know about Service-Learning?
I work with the Service-Learning faculty, administrators, and student leaders who help to make the Service-Learning experiences as impactful as it can be. Therefore, in my experience, one thing that everyone should know about Service-Learning is the amount of thought and attention that goes into planning each experience. There is a high level of intentionality and commitment to social justice oriented, community-driven education that I believe makes this experiential learning opportunity unforgettable and impactful for all involved.

Did you find Service-Learning or did Service-Learning find you?
They found me! Although I am a Northeastern alum, I first learned about Service-Learning through the partnerships it had with my department before I started. I was more than happy and excited to continue the work. I wish I had something like this when I went to college and I hope that every student and faculty member takes advantage of this amazing program.

What is your favorite memory of Service-Learning?
I have so many wonderful memories from my work with the Service-Learning folks. Each time I work with the Service-Learning community, I leave feeling inspired and motivated in other aspects of my work. But, if you would like one memory, I really enjoyed the Publicly Engaged Scholar-in-Residence event featuring educational sociologist Dr. Timothy K. Eatman. Dr. Eatman’s workshop on unconscious bias and, in particular, the connections I made with the other participants, were unforgettable.

If Service-Learning were a food, what would it be and why?
It would probably be a nice paella or biryani because it’s flavorful, (ful)filling, and includes something for everyone. Also, it is a food that brings people together! Too cheesy?

This post was adapted from a S-LOG post published on July 22, 2019.