#CapturingCommunity is a series where we, in the Service-Learning community, are able to sit down with staff from our community partners, faculty at Northeastern, and students to hear about their experiences with Northeastern’s Service Learning program. In this post we are excited to hear from Shan Mohammed, a member of the Service-Learning Advisory Board at Northeastern University.

Name: Shan Mohammed

Role within Service-Learning:Service-Learning Advisory Board Member

What is one thing everyone should know about Service-Learning?
The rewards of Service-Learning are well worth the hard work, dedication and patience needed to be successful. Having the support of the Service-Learning Office helps immensely. I have grown as a faculty member and person from engaging with colleagues from across the university who are dedicated to Service-Learning.

What is your favorite memory of Service-Learning?
My favorite memories are reflected in comments from students and community partners at the end of the semester. From students: “Knowing that our research was going towards something that would be useful and hopefully implemented made the project feel more real…” “I really enjoyed having the opportunity to partner with existing organizations in the community and being able to gain real world urban public health experience. It was really valuable to see the need firsthand in this community, as well as analyze the obstacles that they face in implementation.” “On the ground, real life, relevant and valuable work. As an introvert yet dedicated to helping people, personally it forced me out of my comfort zone as I was forced to complete a lot of outreach and hone in on my communication skills.” From community partners: “I really enjoyed their fresh ideas, excitement to learn, and professionalism. They were really able to build capacity for our programs that otherwise would take a lot more time to complete.” “They worked well as team. Very coordinated in their effort to approach the project. Cognizant and respectful of my time. Knowledgeable in the subject. Receptive to construction criticism. Assertive and professional.” There is not much that is more exciting and rewarding as a faculty member than helping students learn and contributing to community-led initiatives at the same time!

If Service-Learning were a color, what would it be and why?
Green – which for me reflects freshness, life, and growth.

Adapted from a S-LOG post published on April 16, 2018.