#CapturingCommunity is a series where we, in the Service-Learning community, are able to sit down with staff from our community partners, faculty at Northeastern, and students to hear about their experiences with Northeastern’s Service Learning program. In this post we will hear from an S-L Street Team Member.

Shiko Githere

Role in Service-Learning: S-L Street Team Member

Major: Behavioral Neuroscience

What is one thing everyone should know about Service-Learning?

I think that everyone should know that there are a lot of different sides to Service-Learning at NU and a lot of different ways to get involved! Regardless of whether you have plenty of time in your schedule or just a bit, S-L is a perfect way to connect with the community.

Did you find Service-Learning or did Service-Learning find you?

Honestly, Service-Learning kind of found me! I really wanted to take Missy McElligott’s Inquiries of Biology course and I didn’t realize it had an S-L component. But after starting service and getting to know the kids we were teaching Biology lessons to, I began to really see how great S-L is and how well it worked for me and my schedule. I definitely wanted to continue with the S-L in some way.

What is your favorite memory of Service-Learning?

One of my favorite moments from S-L was during the Fall 2018 semester when I was a TA. As a final project in their First-Year Writing course, the students had to create deliverables about their service. Seeing how great their projects turned out was awesome and I loved seeing how much they were able to take away from their semester.

If Service-Learning were a food, what would it be and why?

If Service-Learning were a food, I think it would be an onion because it has lots of layers and sides to it. S-L is a great addition to any classroom, just like an onion is a great addition to any dish!

Adapted from S-LOG post published on August 19, 2019.